In my quest for long, healthy natural hair, I’ve used a lot of weird and unconventional ingredients on my hair, lol, and onion juice on natural hair is one of them. You may frown at using onion juice on your hair because of the smell, but trust me, it doesn’t leave any bad smell on your hair, especially if you mix it with your shampoo. The shampoo neutralises the smell of the onion.
The benefits onion juice on natural hair
* It boosts the circulation of blood and supplies sufficient nourishment to the hair follicles.
* It contains antibacterial properties, which treats the scalp infections that might be causing your hair loss.
* Onion also contains catalase, which is an antioxidant enzyme that prevents your hair from turning grey prematurely.
* Onion promotes the production of collagen, which is essential for the production of new hair.
Hair is formed in the follicles, and the more these follicles receive enough blood and collagen, the more they produce the nutrients and stimulation needed for growing new hair.
* When the scalp gets infected with bacteria, it causes rapid hair loss. This can be easily treated with the use of onion juice.
After treating the bacteria infection, the antibacterial properties in onion helps to prevent the reoccurrence of bacteria infection.
Preventing future infections will prevent future hair loss.
* Onion juice strengthens the hair, which prevents the breakage, shedding and thinning of your hair.
How to extract onion juice:
• You’ll need – 1 large or 2 medium sized onions, a blender, a sieve (the one with the smallest holes), clean 75cl of water and a bowl.
• Peel the onions and cut it into chunks and put in the blender.
• Add water and blend very well.
• Sieve it into the bowl. Your onion juice is ready to use.
Ways to use the onion juice on natural hair:
1. This is the one I do personally. If half of your shampoo is remaining, fill up the shampoo bottle with the onion juice. If you shampoo bottle is full, you can get an empty bottle and pour half of shampoo and half of the onion juice into it. Leave this to sit for 2 weeks before you use it. Then start using the mixture as you usually use your shampoo. The smell of the shampoo will neutralise the smell of the onion. So don’t worry about that.
2. Mix 1/4 cup of onion juice and a tablespoon of raw honey (the mixture can be more than this; depending on how full and long your hair is). Apply to your hair and make sure it covers your hair from root to tip, especially the tips and edges. Cover with a plastic cap and leave on for about 30 minutes and then shampoo your hair.
Again, consistency is key. Use onion juice in your weekly hair routine. You have to be patient with it, like other natural remedies. You’ll start seeing the difference in less than 4 weeks of usage.
It definitely works!
Want a natural oil blend for strong and fast hair growth? Click here