Baking soda is not just for baking up a storm in the kitchen, baking soda for acne is one of the best treatments for your acne prone skin. It is also used to combat the scars it leaves behind.
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate or bicarbonate of soda, has a lot of uses when it comes to personal hygiene and skin care.
Baking soda is a safe consumable ingredient, so it can safely be applied to the skin.
Acne (blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, etc) occurs when sebum (excess oil from the skin), dirt, dead skin cells, bacteria, etc are trapped inside the skin pores, thereby blocking the pores.
These clumped up elements then swell, clogging the hair follicles and then result in what is commonly known as a pimple or acne.
The skin tissues surrounding the affected area gets inflamed which results in the reddening of the affected area.
Even if and when your acne or pimples get healed, you might still be left with black spots or scars, this is what is referred to as acne scars.
Benefits of baking soda for acne treatment.
1. Baking soda helps to balance the skin’s pH.
Being that baking soda is amphoteric in nature, it can act as both a base (alkaline) and an acid. This is why it is very effective at neutralising the skin. A very well known factor that causes the appearance of acne is a pH imbalance.
2. Baking soda also soaks up the excess and unnecessary oil on the skin that can lead to acne.
When it is applied on the skin, it soaks up sebum and drys up the existing pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, etc. It also prevents new breakouts from occurring. If you have oily skin or face, baking soda is especially beneficial to you.
3. There are also mild anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties present in baking soda.
This helps to fight off bacterial infections and inflammation of the skin tissue, which causes the redness and swelling that comes with acne.
4. Baking soda is good for exfoliating the skin.
Exfoliating your skin is an essential part of acne and acne scar treatment. Baking soda is a mild exfoliant because of its gritty nature. When you exfoliate with baking soda, it opens up your pores and removes all the particles, which results in acne and pimples, that are blocking your pores.
Also, the baking soda exfoliation helps to fade the acne scar tissues, layer by layer, over time.
How to use baking soda for acne treatment.
1. Wash your face thoroughly and pat dry.
2. Add 1/2 a teaspoon of water to 2 teaspoons of baking soda, mix together to form a thick paste.
3. Apply the paste on your face (and neck) and gently move your hand in a circular motion. Please do not be rough, DON’T SCRUB your face with it, the gentle motion is enough exfoliation.
4. Leave on your face for about 10 – 15 minutes.
5. Wash your face with warm water, pat dry and apply your usual face cream or oil.
You might feel a little sting when you apply it on your face, especially if it’s the first time, do not worry about that, it’ll go away in a short while.
Use this treatment once a week or once in 2 weeks, do not overuse it.
Have you tried baking soda for acne and acne scar treatment before? Will you recommend it? And if you haven’t, will you be trying it out? Let me know in the comment box below.