When you have a cleaner or brighter underarms, it gives you a feeling of cleanliness; at least it does to me.
So, keeping it clean and nicer looking should be a priority, especially during summer times or if you live in a warmer climate, all year round.
But before we delve into ways to get brighter underarms naturally, let’s look at what causes the underarms to appear darker and discoloured in the first place.
Causes of dark and discoloured underarms.
1. Shaving – If you’re shaving your underarms, as opposed to using other methods of hair removal, then your might be causing your underarms to darken and appear discoloured. When you shave the hair on your skin, you cut off the hair just above your skin; and if you have dark coloured hair, the remaining inches of hair cause the area to appear darker.
2. Use of deodorants and antiperspirants – Your skin might be reacting to some of the ingredients found in some of these deodorants and antiperspirants, which might eventually lead to dark discolourations on your underarms.
3. Lack of exfoliating – Obviously, we must wear deodorants and antiperspirants daily to keep your underarms fresh and nice smelling, but the daily use of these products, plus sweat, causes a build up in that area. Cleaning the area with just soap and water will not remove the build-up entirely. You need to exfoliate.
4. Dead skin cells build up – Over the years, many dermatologists have said that the build-up of dead skin cells on your underarms can cause the area to darken.
5. A medical condition – Acanthosis nigricans is a medical condition that causes the appearance of dark lines on your underarms. A cluster of these dark lines makes your underarms to appear darker.
How to get brighter underarms naturally.
1. Potato scrub.
- Peel 1 small potato and wash it.
- Grate the potato.
- Take the grated potato and rub all over your underarms.
- Leave the juice on your underarms for a few more minutes, then have a shower.
The acidic ingredients of the potato will lighten the area, giving you brighter underarms.
2. Lemon juice.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice into a small bowl.
- Either rub it directly into your underarms or mix it with a little bit of water if it’s too harsh for you.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes.
- Wash off.
Again, the acidic nature of lemon juice will help to lighten your underarms.
3. Brown sugar scrub.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of organic brown sugar into a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw organic honey.
- Mix them together and apply the mixture on your underarms.
- Gently scrub your underarms with it for a minute.
- Leave it on for 10 more minutes.
- Wash off.
Honey has skin lightening properties and brown sugar will exfoliate your underarms properly.
4. Rice powder scrub.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of homemade rice powder into a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of homemade rice water to it.
- Mix together and apply to your underarms.
- Gently exfoliate your underarms with it.
- Leave on for 10 more minutes.
- Wash off.
Rice powder will thoroughly exfoliate your skin and it also contains brightening properties just like rice water (which also has skin healing properties). Using them together will give you a brighter looking skin.
Consistency is key.
Just like any other natural remedies, getting the desired results with these underarm brightening remedies requires consistency.
Don’t just do it once and stop, be consistent with the process and you’ll get cleaner and brighter underarms in no time.
You do not have to use all the 4 remedies at the same time, choose one out of the 4 and stick with it consistently. They’ll all do the work equally.
Have you used any of these natural remedies to achieve brighter underarms? Let us know the outcome in the comment box below.